In this article first and foremost, I will explain while Reiki and also other “hands-on” healing modalities shouldn’t be taught in any form of long distance.
I do know very well, though that in our day and age of learning, shifting more and more to the “digital” option can have its advantages for sure.
One of the big advantages is the lesser costs. You don’t have to pay shipping and handling and you have most of the time immediate access to your purchased product on the same day.
It can’t get any better than this and I agree!
Read more about Reiki and its many advantages here
However, there are still limitations and one of them is to learn a hands-on healing modality which requires the presence of the teacher “live”, not through an audio, mail, email, or DVD presentation.
In the case of Reiki, these forms I have mentioned above could be an enhancer for the student to take with them and review the lessons after he/she has finished the in-person class.
The distance teaching, however, can’t ever be a substitute for the teaching in person and here are the reasons why:
- First and foremost, none of the original founders of Reiki as Dr. Mikao Usui, Dr. Chujiro Hayashi, and Miss Takata, have ever taught Reiki in the form of distance teaching
- Important aspects will be left out which only can be accomplished during an in-person teaching
- Physical touch is needed to transmit the metaphysical energy from the teacher to the student when the teacher touches the student’s head, neck, and hands
- The physical touch also may transmit the psychological and physical aspect of understanding of the transmitted energy
- The spontaneous arising questions during a training can be answered by the teacher immediately and also may lead to some discussion which is not directly related to Reiki but will deepen the overall understanding to the student
- Without knowing the Reiki Teacher and what is his/her background, how long they teach Reiki, where did they get their Reiki attunements and what is their lineage? The student really doesn’t know what he/she might receive. Is it really Reiki or something else?
Money and or Time has often been the Issue of choosing a long Distance Course
It is tempting to choose the long distance Attunement version because the costs are a fraction vs. in person live class teaching and more people can receive the Attunement at the same time, whereas in a live class setting the teacher will set some limitation of participants to its own discretion.
When money is the issue here, or also not finding the time to spend 2-4 days back to back by participating in a live class setting, the Reiki Teacher could offer several options to the interested student:
- A teacher could offer some Scholarship to a serious student
- Reduce the price of a Reiki class by offering the same perhaps, once or twice a year, for those who are struggling to pay for it, but are very interested and serious about learning all about Reiki and becoming a Reiki practitioner
- Offers payments to take the load off of a one-time payment. This also is to the Reiki teacher’s own discretion
- Offers a 2-4 days class in the form of a one-day class over a period of 2-4 weeks, this too can reduce the pressure of not being able to attend a class which takes more than one day in a row. A good Reiki teacher will be able to conduct a Reiki class this way with satisfactory to the students, not having the feeling of falling short on the teaching
These, of course, are only guidelines when it comes from participating in a Reiki live class, but it also does show that there are much better possibilities still for a serious student to learn Reiki the “Right” way instead of using an online course.
Another point of Importance
There is another point of importance why an online Reiki Attunement isn’t the right way to go when using a mail, email, or a video version.
There is a well-known fact that over 90% of communication is done non-verbally by using body language and just being physically present, which is very important for the teacher/student relationship.
These all will be lost during an online teaching/Reiki Attunement.
Long Distance Reiki Attunement can only be an Experiment or an Addition
If a person is looking for a quality and professional Reiki training, then receiving this training from a Reiki teacher with the same qualities, in person, is of the essence.
Nothing can substitute the importance of the physical presence of a teacher who can guide, instruct and attune the student in person and answer any questions immediately.
Receiving a Long Distance Reiki Attunement can only be seen, in my opinion, as an experiment, or as an addition when having received a proper Reiki Attunement, which might happen years ago and the Reiki Practitioner wants to refresh its knowledge.
Some limited value of giving a Long Distance Reiki Attunement
Even though I personally and utterly are against a long distance Reiki Attunement teaching, I certainly do know of some limited value in this form of teaching could provide.
- Emergency. Reiki Attunement could be received long distance due to an emergency. Here I like to mention a situation I had experienced as a Reiki teacher for myself.
A very close friend in Germany had called me one day to tell me that her mother should undergo an operation, she the mother, is not 100% behind it and actually does feel the worst of an outcome.
I gave my friend the needed Reiki Attunement so she can provide her mother with the so much needed Reiki healing energy. The mother made a full recovery without any operation and did instead receive a less invasive treatment.
This might be, of course, an isolated incidence, so you might think, but it does can happen more often. We, as humans and as a society, do not need to know everything in detail to make it work. Sometimes we just need to believe.
- Unusual Circumstances. This could be any sort of adversity like Earth Quakes, Floods, Fire, the outbreak of any disease.
We are well surrounded these days by any kind of adversities, happening in the world. There is certainly not a day passing by where we will switch on our TV’s and, be not bombarded by any of the crises.
If a person is living in one of these settings and asking for help by receiving a Reiki Attunement, to be able to give Reiki, where it is needed the most, I won’t object to this person myself. Since I do know for myself how helpful Reiki can be in such circumstances.
However, I also do recommend, very strongly, to this person who had received such a Reiki Attunement that way, to seek for a good Reiki teacher, in person, to go through the proper Reiki training.
It not only will add knowledge to the person’s understanding but will also strengthen the Reiki energy it already has received.
As a Reiki teacher, I do know, at first hand, how important it is to receive a Reiki Attunement from a Reiki teacher in person.
I never will miss this experience.
I also do know that Reiki, given as a Long Distance Session, does work very well, no limitations there.
However, receiving training that way will never be satisfactory to the student, it only can awaken its interest in learning more about it and therefore will receive the proper training once more in a live class setting with a Reiki teacher physically present.
The digital day and age have its wonderful advantages, but it also will still have its limitations too.
We all have, in the end, to decide this for ourselves.
Leave a comment below if you like perhaps share your own experience on the subject matter.
Wishing you always a blessed and a wonderful Day 🙂
Spiritual topics about psychic abilities, the supernatural and more are also of interest to her. To be able to "heal yourself" is always the main focus to Sylvia when she writes an article to inform her readers.
Latest posts by Sylvia Mann (see all)
- How Narcissistic Abuse Destroys Your Health - February 17, 2019
- The Complete Chakra Guide to the 7 Chakras Part Three – The 3rd Chakra – - February 12, 2019
- Archangels, heavenly Beings among Us - February 3, 2019